Tauranga/Hamilton (combined) : RMLA/NZPI : Powerful plans – Perspectives on best practice plan making
The Resource Management Law Association in association with the New Zealand Planning Institute and the Environment Court present a national roadshow workshop
Recent plan making processes throughout New Zealand provide a timely opportunity for an in-depth, full day workshop on the key strategic considerations and process decision points for plan development. Chaired by Principal Environment Judge Newhook and featuring a panel of Environment Court judges and experienced RMA practitioners at each venue, the workshop will cover a range of topics including:
- A strategic approach to plan development – issue identification, option evaluation, implementation of higher order planning instruments
- The section 32 process – recent changes, and the variability of approaches to date
- The drafting process – from decisions on structure and format to peer review and editorial oversight
- Plan workability – ensuring the appropriate cascade of objectives, policies and rules
- Notification and hearing – navigating the process
- The importance of language – precision and consistency
- Impact of national planning standards on plan making processes
Of particular value to those working with and within councils on plan preparation, this workshop is equally relevant to participants and practitioners involved in plan submission and hearing processes.
Speakers include: Principal Environment Judge Newhook, Environment Court Judges Kirkpatrick, Hassan and Dickey, together with experienced practitioners Amelia Linzey, Lachlan Muldowney, David Mead, Duncan Laing, Robert Schofield, Sarah Dawson and Mark St Clair.
This event will provide 4 hours of CPD.
Venues and dates for information, but please be sure to register for your region:
Auckland Monday 8 July 2019, Beca Auditorium
Tauranga & Hamilton (combined) Tuesday 9 July 2019, SkyCity Casino
Wellington Wednesday 10 July 2019, DLA Piper office
Christchurch Thursday 11 July 2019, Rydges Latimer Square
Dunedin Friday 12 July 2019, Otago Regional Council office
Materials will be provided in digital form.
The format will be:
9:30 – 11:00am Introductions and Presentations
11:00 – 11:20am Morning tea
11:20 – 1:00pm Drafting in breakout sessions
1:00 – 1:30pm Lunch/informal discussions
1:30 – 2:30pm Debrief/compare drafting techniques
2:30- 3:00pm Wrap up
and will include morning tea and lunch.
When: 09 July 2019
Time: 9:30 am - 3:00 pm
Where: SkyCity Casino