Transpower : Senior Environmental Planner
Would you like to work in an organisation providing infrastructure that is critical to meeting the Government’s net zero carbon objectives?
Transpower is New Zealand’s National Grid operator. We take a whole-of-industry view of the electricity sector and operate the system on behalf of New Zealand.
Our strategy, Transmission Tomorrow, shows how we’re working to deliver the renewable, electrified, low-carbon economy set out in Whakamana I Te Mauri Hiko – Empowering our Energy Future.
This includes influencing environmental policy and plan provisions required to meet that challenge by looking after the assets we already have, and planning for how the National Grid will contribute to electrification of the economy in the future – all while carefully managing our effects on the environment and maintaining our social licence to operate.
About the team
Our Environmental Regulatory team is responsible for the following:
- Delivering Transpower’s strategic resource management policy including striving to secure provisions in district and regional plans and policy statements across New Zealand that give effect to the National Policy Statement on Electricity Transmission
- Obtains all necessary environmental approvals for major projects/new build projects; and
- Responding to enquiries about development proposals in the vicinity of National Grid assets
About the opportunity
We’re seeking an experienced Senior Environmental Planner to join us, either in Wellington, Christchurch or Auckland, on a permanent basis.
As our Senior Environmental Planner, you will play a key role in supporting the development and implementation of Transpower’s strategic resource management policy at a national and local level, working alongside our Senior Environmental Planners and a range of other staff from across Transpower.
You’ll provide a technical overview, coordinating Transpower’s involvement in resource management policy processes from pre-notification right through to Environment Court as required, engaging with Councils, Transpower’s key stakeholders, planning consultants and lawyers. You’ll have the opportunity to assist Transpower in responding to the Government’s planned resource management system reform – a ‘once in a generation’ opportunity!
You’ll also spend time working on our Corridor Land Use Management workstream to ensure development proposals near the National Grid are sympathetic to it and don’t compromise its maintenance, operation, upgrade or development.
To be considered, your CV and cover letter will demonstrate the following:
- At least 7-10 years’ experience related to planning/policy development/resource management
- A tertiary qualification in Environmental Planning/Resource Management recognised by the New Zealand Planning Institute (NZPI)
- Understanding of relevant legislation, particularly the RMA
- Demonstrated experience in the plan change process, including preparing submissions, further submissions and evidence briefs
- Experience with Environment Court mediation or stakeholder engagement
- Understanding of developing and implementing strategy and policy
It is desirable that you’re a member of NZPI (Intermediate or Full, preferably).
Why you should join us
We stand together for New Zealand – Tū mai Aotearoa – to enable a better tomorrow.
As an equal opportunity employer, we embrace diversity. Our people are made up of over 28 nationalities which makes for a dynamic and stimulating environment. Our benefits include a range of health and lifestyle options to support your wellbeing. View them here: https://www.transpower.co.nz/about-us/careers/benefits
If you are a qualified planner, committed to achieving the highest standards of professional planning excellence and someone who seeks a dynamic role, please review the position description below or via our website and apply without delay.
Role closes Sunday, 4 July 2021. Applications will be reviewed as they are received.
NB: Due to current border restrictions, we are only able to consider candidates currently residing in New Zealand with full work eligibility and necessary qualifications.
To apply for this job, please go to our job site and enter the job code 22349RMLA.