Ministry for the Environment : Nominations for Environmental Legal Assistance Advisory Panel
The Ministry for the Environment is seeking nominations for the Environmental Legal Assistance Advisory Panel. There are currently two (2) Panel member positions to be filled by July 2021.
The Environmental Legal Assistance Fund is for not-for-profit groups advocating for matters of environmental public interest. Funding enables applicants to participate more effectively and efficiently in matters or issues affecting the environment or processes regulating the environment.
Applications are assessed every 6 – 8 weeks by the ELA Fund Panel (the Panel). This independent advisory panel is made up of seven (7) expert advisers who are appointed for their knowledge of environmental law, resource management issues and of community groups and iwi. The core function of the Panel is to assess funding applications against the ELA funding criteria and provide independent recommendations to the Ministry for the Environment.
The appointment terms of two (2) Panel members are due to expire on 30 June 2021, therefore nominations are currently being sought for these positions.
It is desirable that candidates have a mixture of the following competencies:
- Understanding of proceedings in the Environment Court, higher courts, Board of Inquiry and first instance hearings (for example, before decision-making panels) where the right of appeal is likely to be restricted to points of law only
- Experience in Resource Management Act (RMA) cases
- Up to date knowledge and experience of case law
- Understanding of iwi/hapū environment issues and tikanga knowledge
- Preparation and presentation of material as an expert witness
- Involvement with environmental community groups
- Understanding of likely costs for a case/ hearing
- Experience of funding schemes
- Breadth of perspective (ie. primarily National or Local)
- Economics/Understanding of the Business Environment
- Experience in sitting on boards/panels
- For further information see attached info sheet
The Ministry acknowledges the COVID-19 environment we are working in and would like to reassure you we will pursue these appointments in a safe way at all levels of the COVID-19 alert system.
Please complete the attached nomination form and ensure all nominees have been informed of their nominations, then forward your nominations with attached CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org by 5pm Friday 14 May 2021. Consideration will be given to the composition of the Panel, including the mix of skills and backgrounds.